Friday, May 9, 2014

Week 3 of Rubiks Cube Solving Quest

Good Afternoon my Rubik's cube solving followers.

Since the last time I posted, I shared that I was having troubles at the white cross, two color block step. I got together with some fellow students who know how, and have solved cubes before. One of them had even had experience solving a 4x4 cube. Its even harder than the 3x3 I'm struggling with.

If you're confused as to what I mean, check this out.......

Rubik's Cube Variants

There are numerous variations off of the original 3x3 puzzle which more advanced puzzle solvers undertake as cubing projects. The people who helped me learn some of the steps that I needed to master to move on were great teachers. My project coaches were great!! They explained the steps while letting me manipulate the cube, which was outstanding. They then demonstrated their mastery by both solving the cube in under 5 minutes.

The best sites that have helped me memorize the algorithms and sequences are

http://solvethecube.com/

and

http://rubiks.com

The biggest thing I have taken away in learning to solve this cube is that once you get to the end of a step, don't be discouraged that you may need to rearrange previously solved sides. The algorithms work and there has been documentation of successes in any road blocks that you may encounter. I am currently able to solve the white cross, two colored block into the row solving methods. I am hoping to be able to complete the bottom and first two rows with all four faces by the end of the weekend before my upcoming project fair. For this event I am going to get additional cubes for my stand, and make the visual display board for people to see my blog site and hopefully check it out.

Maybe someday I will be as fast as world champion solvers like Feliks,

check it out & talk to you next time!!!

2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8xcpauirEZQ&ei=XR1tU7unA8u2yATn0oH4Bw&usg=AFQjCNGWS1VViaYjHOtHVf3h0wy_AdJZWg&sig2=k4LYPLxynaq0lY2tjWQRfg&bvm=bv.66330100,d.aWw

2 comments:

  1. What fun! Thanks for the links to assist with solving this puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be really impressed if you could solve that 7x7 cube. I think that you have a good goal. I'm going to have to check out some of the links you posted and see if I can solve a rubik's cube. Good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete