Friday, April 25, 2014

Week 2 of Rubik Cube Quest

Good Afternoon Cubers and Bloggers alike!!

Today marks the third blog of my project to learn how to complete a Rubik's cube. As the spring goes on, I find more and more opportunities to work on the project. Being a "fun" assignment, I usually find myself working on the cube more than some other homework simply because it is a good manipulative to use to just take your mind off whatever may be filling it. This being said, it has been a surprisingly good de-stressor for me in a spring full of sports, homework, and activities. The cube has its resting place on my night stand and it is always a reminder of this interesting area of school assigned work. The whole concept of 20 time has been a really refreshing thing to do in school. If you would like to learn more about this "20 Time" that I have mentioned, click the link below.

http://www.20timeineducation.com/


Now, onto my update on the rubik's cube adventure......

I have had lots of sports bus rides, afternoons when I can't focus, and random 5 minute periods where I have nothing better to do than work to try and get this thing solved. I have been really focusing on learning the algorithms needed to get the "preliminary" step which is where there is a cross taking up one of the sides of the cube. This seems easy enough, however, the disclaimer here is that there have to be two, same-colored cubes on the adjacent face and row as each of the cross arms. I almost got here, it looks like this....
Notice that the white side is the first side you ALWAYS use to form the cross, then the red and blue sides (indicated by the center cube color) on the bottom and left face have at least two cubes of the same color adjacent to the white cross cubes on the bottom and left of the white cross face.
The issue I am having, is getting the other right and back faces this way. Where I am running a muck is with the green and orange faces. The yellow face is on the bottom and we will worry about it later. Anyways, the green and orange faces are almost there, it is so agonizing. I can't seem to find a way to swap the cubes I need into the place where the other is. Here's what it looks like now.....
Notice that the top orange cube and the top green cube are above the colored cube of the green center cube and the orange center cube respectively. This is my dilemma, it is harder to move cubes you want to while keeping the finished ones from being re-jumbled. Ahhhhhhh!!!! So as I figure out how to fix this issue, and continue to learn the algorithms, I will leave you here. See you next week!!! If you have been following these blogs so far, and want to cube too, they sell Rubik's at Barne's & Noble Bookstores or any other toy shop really. Try and follow along with these blog posts and maybe even the site I have been using with the link below.
www.solve-the-cube.com/                              
Have a great day and cube on!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I used to be able to solve a Rubik's cube. There are a lot of steps that you have to memorize. Whenever I encountered that problem I would just mix it up again and start over. I'm pretty impressed that you've done this much in such little time. I also agree with you that those kind of things are good as "de-stressors" I'll have to keep track of what you're doing and see if I can relearn how to solve it. Good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete