Thursday, April 10, 2014

Week 1 of Rubik's Cube Quest

Good Evening my Rubik's Cube solving followers!!
Do not be alarmed at the publishing time of this blog, when the schedules get full, homework and blogging of course, must run late.

As for my progress this week, I found a rubiks cube that had been so graciously solved by I dont know who. I wanted to document the starting result for my quest, so you can see below two pictures varifying that the cube can, and has been solved before, just not by me. We're on a mission to change that!!!


   

So here is where things got interesting.......
I jumbled the cube and said goodbye to the neat rows and columns of same colored squares. Here is where I was after that....


So the quest to solve this 3x3 cube of complexity and wonder now begins officially. I looked up why the rubiks cube is so hard to solve, and my fears were quickly confirmed as I learned that there are 519 quintillion possible arraingments of the cubes AND ONLY 1 SOLUTION. Yes, my fellow cubers, that is 519,000,000,000,000,000 possible ways this thing can be wrong!!! Is your head starting to hurt yet??...
Hope not, because I'm not completely terrible at this, within 5 minutes, i was able to get one side done which means we're 1/6th of the way here. I even proved it for you, check out the blue side I got!!!




So as I continue the quest in learning how this thing works, and how to use the new algorithms I'm finding, to solve this beast.
You'll hear from me next week! Hopefully I will have figured out another side by then, or even started getting all the colors onto the sides they need to be in the characteristic crosses that mean I am on the right track!!

Over and out, Cube on!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. wow! 519 quintillion.... That's a lot of possibilities. It sounds like you're definitely making progress. I don't know if it's a problem with my computer, but it won't let me view your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once tried to solve a Rubik's cube but like Jimmy got annoyed with the fact that i couldn't solve it. Good luck and have fun learning how it works.

    ReplyDelete