Friday, June 6, 2014

Good Afternoon fellow bloggers for the last time. First, I would like to share an impressive piece of artwork that a man created using over 4,000 cubes. I am going to share with you my findings from this project in the form of my last reflective statement for the class I had the great opportunity of doing this project.
1.       When I started, my first intentions for my 20 time experience was to be able to solve a Rubik’s cube. Through my journey this semester, I have learned how to solve Rubik’s cubes left and right. I take my cube with me lots of places because it gives me something to do with my hands.
2.       The impact of my project on others has been more than I initially expected. I have over 200 page views on my blog from family, friends, teachers and other random people from all over. I was able to auction off a cube as a part of my expo exhibit back in May. Lastly, I’ve inspired my siblings to try and solve the cube and fellow classmates to take up cubing once again. As far as a positive impact on people in the community, my unique 20 time topic generated fun discussion and if I wanted to pursue cubing further, I could set up a Rubik’s cube club for other motivated students here at Dow High.
3.       A first roadblock was looking for my old cube, to no avail. Next, it was a little bit difficult to come up with interesting things to blog about aside from my methodology in solving the steps I was stuck on. Lastly, the biggest challenge for me was actually solving the cube for the first time, but now I solve it daily as a time to just get my mind off whatever may be stressing me out.
4.       Some new learning gained through this project experience is determination, logical thinking, and perseverance. These learning lessons changed the course of the project in a small way because it became a challenge of Josh internal conflict rather than Josh vs Cube conflict.
5.       The thing about this kind of learning that works for me is that the project is hands on and I can see and manipulate the problem to find the solution rather than have to imagine it and manipulate it in my brain.
6.       The thing about this kind of learning that is a challenge for me is that I have trouble remembering the different combinations of spinning cube sections to solve the layers.
7.       I would definitely classify this project as a success.
8.       I estimate I spent about 2 hours on my project every week. One hour a week could contribute to my blog posts, research for interesting material, and work on projects and presentations. The other hour would be comprised of random 5 or 10 minute blurbs of time when I just wanted to cube rather than do other homework. It’s kind of a therapy for me in my busy and stressful, yet fun life.
9.       My 20 time project most closely relates to the inquirer and risk taker IB learner profiles. Inquirer because I have always talked to my family and friends who have cubed. Risk taker is also applicable because I had never solved a cube before and I was kind of nervous about failing a project with such a single, seemingly simple goal.
1   11. Written communication, oral communication, and technological skills were all used for this 20 time project that are also used in English class. The Written communication coming in the form of the bi-weekly blogs, the oral communication coming with the check in meetings with Mrs. Hechlik, and of course the 20 time sharing fair at Northwood University. Lastly, media skills are needed to fully complete this project with picture uploads and powerpoint presentations to express my learnings from this project.
1   12. I would tell teachers to go for it with this assignment regardless of if they’ve done it before or not. The opportunities and take-away’s from this experience are definitely worth one day of class time every week. I would tell them to hold a sharing fair with 2 or 3 hours for friends and family to come see the projects, as well as students to check out other students work.
113.  I would tell fellow students to participate in the project wholeheartedly because the things you can learn are fun and great to contrast the typical routine of high school life. Keep up with the progress on your project, the blogs, and just overall, try and take as much as you can from the experience.
   14. Yes, I will keep my cube and continue to solve it after this project is wrapped up next week in my lightning talk.
   DO THE PROJECT AGAIN, IT’S GREAT!!!!

TThe questions to my responses can be viewed on the link below...
http://moodle.mps.k12.mi.us/high/mod/resource/view.php?id=43403

Its been a pleasure sharing my findings with you, hopefully you learned something interesting
 like I did. 
Have a fantastic day, and happy Rubik's cubing!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Such a cool piece of art! I still need to see you solve this thing!

    ReplyDelete